English for Speakers of Other Languages
ESOL qualifications help learners gain English literacy for use in education, employment and everyday life. They give learners the competence and confidence to use their English skills in their studies, employment and other areas of their life.
They give learners the opportunity to:
- develop their English language knowledge and skills
- achieve a nationally recognised qualification
- develop personal growth and engagement in learning
- develop English skills for personal and employment-related application.
All ESOL qualifications are individually assessed by an externally set paper-based test or task. The levels are:-
Entry 1, Entry 2, Entry 3, Level 1 and Level 2
To gain a certificate in these levels means passing three exams; Speaking & Listening, Reading and Writing.
ESOL qualifications are suitable for learners who:
- are learning English for the first time
- have previously studied English and want to measure their abilities against a commonly recognized framework.
Learners who have achieved a Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life qualification can progress to the next level of the qualification. Alternatively, they can progress to Functional Skills English, GCSE English or other English qualifications. Learners can use their learning and achievement to support their employment aims and progression in their chosen career.
Pupils who are new to English and arrive at Hamstead Hall in the school years of 9, 10, 11 will study and take an ESOL qualification. They can then use the knowledge and skills gained from this qualification and further build on them when they leave school to go to college at the end of year 11.